Convent founded in 1267, the license granted sequence by Afonso III, was largely benefited by King Dinis and later by Constable Nuno Alvares Pereira, in 1366, sent him to expand and rebuild the chancel of the church. Also enjoyed the special protection of the Dukes of Bragança, which it held the patronage. Extinct in 1834.
At the time of the Christian Reconquista of the peninsula, when the statement of the Portuguese nation, the region was dominated from the conquest of Alcacer do Sal (1217). Although one can not say whether a primitive village was abandoned and reoccupied, or if your Christian stand was late, it is certain that Vila Viçosa […]
The Palace also met several works and improvements until 1640, when the Duke of Bragança was made King, taking much of their remarkable filling for the Ribeira Palace in Lisbon. Henceforth the Vila Viçosa Palace was only a hunting lodge and recreation for the family of its owners, now masters of the throne of […]
The area of Vila Viçosa has been inhabited since Antiquity, and it was the site of a small settlement in Roman times. The region was part of the Visigoth Kingdom and in the eighth century came under Moorish control after the Muslim conquest of Hispania. Moorish domination ended in 1217, when the region was reconquered by the Order of Aviz, a military order […]