Castle of Esporão, also referred to as Tower of the Esporão, located in the parish, town and municipality of Reguengos de Monsaraz, Évora District, Portugal.
Considered as one of the most important towers built during the transition from the Middle Ages to the modern age, is in the old manor house on the homestead of Mendes de Vasconcelos, noble family on the rise in Court, linked to the House of Braganza in the second half of the sixteenth century .
The Esporão has its limits since 2 May 1267. The tower was erected by Morgado Álvaro Mendes de Vasconcelos, between the years 1457 and 1490, dates correspond to the time of possession of the squire and his death. Álvaro Mendes was home rider of the Duke of Bragança and governor of the city of Évora.
Comments are closed.