Ducal Palace of Vila Viçosa, Holiday Home of the Kings of the House of Bragança

The Palace also met several works and improvements until 1640, when the Duke of Bragança was made King, taking much of their remarkable filling for the Ribeira Palace in Lisbon.



Henceforth the Vila Viçosa Palace was only a hunting lodge and recreation for the family of its owners, now masters of the throne of Portugal. D. João IV but maintained the independence of the House of Braganza in relation to the Crown and is designed for the primogeniture of the heir to the throne. In the eighteenth century, King João V also made some improvements (chapel, kitchen and flags of the new rooms), following its visits to Vila Viçosa, in particular for the so-called exchange of princesses (wedding of Prince D.José with a Infanta Spain and the Prince of Asturias with the Infanta Dona Maria Barbara), which took place on the border of Caia, in 1729. Also D.Maria I even made some improvements, adding the body of the Dining Rooms and glasses. Finally, in the late nineteenth century, the old Palace would still be subject to some works, fruit of the predilection that the Kings D.Carlos and D.Amelia had for him. D.Carlos much appreciated Calipolense Palace, here passing long periods of time, when promoted with your friends (rarely brought officers invited to Vila Viçosa) big game hunting in the extensive Tapada Ducal.

Indeed, it was in this palace that King D.Carlos slept his last night before he was assassinated in February 1, 1908 (saving up intact since his chambers). In the last reign, Vila Viçosa palace also welcomed the visit of King Alfonso XIII of Spain to D.Manuel II in February 1909.

The proclamation of the Republic in 1910

After the proclamation of the republic in 1910, Vila Viçosa Palace and all the goods of the House of Braganza, remained in the possession of King Dom Manuel II, being family property of the King and not the state. In 1933, following the testamentary dispositions of D. Manuel II (died 1932), the Palace was part of the House of Braganza Foundation, which opened its doors to the public as a museum. At that time the Palace yet received most of the movable property, works of art and the precious library of the exiled king (from London residence).

The Palace features a large collection of works of art (paintings, furniture, sculpture, etc ..), being particularly noble rooms of the first floor, examples of which are the rooms of Medusa, the Dukes (with pictures of all the dukes up the eighteenth century) on the ceiling) and Hercules, many of them ennobled with beautiful stoves carved marble room. Remain particularly alive in the palace the memories of the last two reigns (fruit of the special love that he had for the sovereign), as can be seen in the royal apartments and numerous examples of artistic work of King D.Carlos (watercolors and pastel). The kitchen has one of the largest collections of kitchen batteries, copper. Are still highlight the Library (with very precious copies) and the armory. In the old stables is installed a section of the National Coach Museum, where among other carriages, you can admire the landau carrying the Royal Family on the regicide.

Comments are closed.

Free eCards, Free ePoscards